Friday 21 September 2007

Action of the Week

Jerusalem: Hello?
Caller: I'm from - agency.
Jerusalem: Right
Caller: Can you tell me what you're doing now as I believe we have the perfect role for you.

I launch into my tired spiel about my present job and what I would like to do. The caller listens with polite interest.

Jerusalem: I assume you have a role for me?
Caller: Yes

He tells me about the job and I refuse to get excited. I've been down this road far too many times.

Caller: Jerusalem, can you tell me your salary expectations for this role?
Jerusalem: Well, I'm earning 24k now so I would imagine something like 30k minimum.
Caller (stuttering): Well, uh, erm, it seems we have the wrong role for you because this job is actually paying 40k. We'll get in touch (literally harangues me off the phone).

Changing tack
I laughed like you wouldn't believe. A few weeks ago, that would've floored me completely. I would've spent hours thinking and wondering when my job breakthrough would come but not anymore. I would've asked God, 'why? l've been job hunting for almost a year now and still nothing!' But not this time. This time, I thought to myself, 'my CV must've really wowed them for him to think I was the best person for that role.'

There are only so many battles I can fight. I know I am racing towards my 40s and in theory should be earning more but everybody's journey is different. 20 years ago, if you'd asked me where I think I will be by now (my present age), I would've responded without thinking, 'World Bank researcher or university lecturer with a triple Ph.D.' Funny how life works out, isn't it. But we mustn't look to the past. Onwards Christian soldier go. That's the spirit.

But I wonder though...why don't recruitment agencies and the working world in general like you making huge salary leaps? Do they really believe that you can't handle the leap or is it because they think your professional capability should already be reflected in your current salary?

My non-existent wardrobe
I'm sticking to my decision to empty out my wardrobe and buy quality clothes. Only thing is, I don't have any money. But no matter. When I eventually accrue some, I will go to all the shops I talked about in my last post and shop like a proper adult.

I'm looking forward to Sunday and Communion Boy! I'm going to try out a new make up style and while I'm at it, pray I don't end up with panda eyes by the end of church service. I was also going to blog about my gym visit but I guess I'll leave it for another time. Needless to say, I feel a lot better about myself already. The feel good gym hormones people talk about it is real. If I'm not careful, I'll end up being a gym addict.

Have a good weekend and thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Thirty + said...

As per the job, that is a good spirit you have their. Been a gym member myself (though not an addict). Yes feel good hormone thing is real.

UndaCovaSista said...

There's really no way to understand the way God works. I went through years and years of being underpaid despite working for quite a prestigious firm, doing a job i hated. I finally left, without any other job prospects (everybody thot i was mad of course), i moved on to a couple of other roles and finally, just like a dream, God gave me favour (no other way of explaining it) in the sight of the guy who up until recently was my current boss(he moved on recently) and he took me on for my current role on the salary of a 'professionally qualified' person, even tho' i wasn't.

I know i'm going on a bit, but just know that when you get that job that you deserve, earning the salary that you deserve, it will come from an angle that you're not even expecting and it will completely floor you... cos that's they way God works