Thursday 25 October 2007

Touch

My friends do not understand why I make a beeline for their little children every time I see them. I tell them it's because I miss them but the real reason is the hugs. I can go for weeks or even months without touching another human being. When I see those little children, I run towards them to get my fix of human touch. The modern adage that we are more technologically connected yet humanly disconnected than ever before is so true.

Why is that?

A few years ago, I went to a funeral. I sat at the back of the church and wept for the person who passed away. I was surrounded by couples and families and sitting there, at the back of the church, weeping as if my heart would break, I don't think I ever felt more alone in my life. I wanted someone to hold me, to tell me that it was okay, that everything would be fine. I wanted to be comforted in my grief. No one did and then, just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, I felt someone's arms around me. It was a friend's husband. I fell into his arms and wept like a fool, grateful for the solace he offered at that particular time. At the back of my mind was the thought that God sent him to me to give me exactly what I needed at that time. Then, like now, I underestimated God. That is why I'm always so surprised when he comes up trumps for me, like that day at the funeral.

The leaves are falling. There is a distinct chill in the air as autumn fades into winter. I turn up my coat and turn my body inwards, cold wisps emanating from my mouth. I stand still for a moment watching busy people march confidently to their offices, decaff, soya lattes in one hand and laptop bags in another. Then I look up. I'm in front of my office. A deep breath and I'm in, another day has begun.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

girl,
this is the time to trust in the lord with all of u and lean not unto ur understanding and surely he will meet all of ur needs and wants.
a woman very dear to me just had a baby 2 weeks short of her 40th bday, she got married at the age of 38.
my 4 girls and i met her as teens away from home and in a foreign land without the much needed parental guidance, most people her age avoided us like the plague(the u can'tell us nothing stage. we knew it all!) she saw a void and she yielded to fill it not counting the cost. believe me i know it cost her plenty..
i remember her driving us(more like dragging) to church every sunday morning usually within a few hours of our return from our endless parties... u can imagine the sight and whatever else..(she still keeps a permanent bottle of perfume in her car to this day)
fast forward to her mid 30s and still not married and no prospect in sight and still steadfast in her faith, the roles became reversed, we dragged her out constantly, she didn't have to drive us to church we took turns picking her up every sunday,we even invaded her bed(she joked about God's sense of humor once "Lord,i ask for a man in my bed and instead u chose to give me this 5 rudious girls? okay o i thank u all the same")
i can recall now the crying fest that was her 35th bday party.. (one of us had an abortion 2 days to her bday)it def was a bday 2 remember..

everytime i try to write about this woman of purpose, i'm overcome with overwhelming emotions..
this is turning into a long post..i just felt lead to write, i pray there's a purpose.
God bless u